Monday, 25 February 2008

SMWC Day 2- Individual Race

Was hard to believe that today was finally the day, the World Ski Mountaineering Individual Championships!
While Jane and I never for one moment expected to turn up and rock the boat here in Switzerland, we had set some goals for ourselves and hope that if we raced well we might be the first non-Europeans racers across the finish line. It sounds like a funny goal (and it is), but the sport is so well established here, there's no way a "outsider" can really expect to play with the big boys and girls, not yet any way.

The woman started 30mins before the guys, so it was nice to see the start of the race and cheer Jane on and she made a good start.

the course started on a steep ski run, that really hurt me at first, until it turned into a flatter treed area and then some kick turns, which I always enjoy. I was feeling good toward the top of the first climb, and felt great on the ski down. I actually passed some people! No really, I actually passed people on the ski, I was surprised too! My transition was good (no ski issues this week) and left before Cary and Brandon, 2 USA racers. Things we going well, but I did start to feel my self slow a bit, then came the boot pack and that's when I hit the wall in a big way. The rest of the race was a blur of pain. I have never felt so bad. In the final climb I came to a stand still around a dozen times! I'm not sure why, I ain't big on excuses, but maybe it was the late start, warm temps and not drinking enough? I finished a good 15mins slower than I think I should have been, just basing off what other guys I have raced against this winter. pretty disappointing, but there's always 2010......

Jane on the other hand had a good race, finishing in 25th place and just 3 mins behind Mona for the US. Nice job ladies!

The race was won by Frenchman Florent Perrier, while Italian Roberta Pedranzini achieved huge upset over Laetitia Roux from France in the womans race.

VIDEO and RESULTS You will have to scroll aways down to find me......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grant and Jane

Awesome work. I hope you are firing up for the long race!

Arohanui
Duncan

Anonymous said...

Go Go Go Grant keep the power and prepared the longggggggggggg
And said Hello to Wick if you see him
Seb

Anonymous said...

Go Go Go DSA Kiwi !!!

It so nice to follow the WC with you 2 ...

Tomorrow, Full Blast !!!

Stephane

GTG said...

Thanks guys! Much appreciated by us both!
Duncan, you guys would have loved it!
Seb, don't forget your horn for Friday, I will need all the help I can get for that one.
Stephane it was full blast, not racing but trying to keep up with Pierre watching the teams race...