Monday, 18 February 2008

Croix de Chamechaude AKA 2008 French championships

We raced in the Croix de Chamechaude today. The Croix de Chamechaude is the 2nd race in the G3M series and this year was also the Fench individual champs.
A week out from the World Ski Mountaineering Champs, spots on the the French national team still had to be decided (a bit like the NZ team.....), so there was no rest for the top racers from France. It was great, all the big names were there, Blanc, Perrier, Gachet, Roux, not to mention a string of other amazingly strong athletes.
I had a pretty decent race, apart from some skin issues on the bottom of the 2nd climb. My skins weren't sticking, so I had to swap to another pair costing me time and placings. Still I was happy how I recovered and finished in 21st, about 20mins behind the winner Florent Perrier.
The finish was a brutal up hill sprint and I was pipped by Brit racer Jon by 1sec! We were thinking we might be in the 30's, so 20th and 21st is pretty good for a couple of non Frenchmen.
Jane was really excited about this race. She had a good race, finishing in 8th place.
Not sure how things will look after this race, but going into it Jane was ranked 2nd overall in the CAF rankings (there are 2 alpine clubs systems here CAF and FFME).

Hopefully I will have some photos and full results soon.

1 week to the world champs!!

1 comment:

Sébastien said...

You're 3rd at the G3M rankings!!

http://www.grenoble-montagne.com/g3m/classements/G3M08_provisoire.xls