Tuesday, 4 March 2008

SMWC-Day 7

Apologies for not getting this final day of racing report up earlier folks, been pretty busy and tired recovering from the week.

An early start and grey skies were the scene for the final day of racing at the 2008 SMWC. The long race had been modified a little due to the warm temps during the week and the course was to be 2700m for men and 2300m for the woman. There were 2 starts, 0715 for the woman and slower males and 0830 for the top 30 (ended up being about 45) males. I think I could have raced in the late start, but after a shocking result on Sunday I could really request to be in the early race.

It was pretty nice when the gun off not to have 30 or so guys in front of me going at an inhuman speed and I was in the lead group going at a comfortable pace. I made a bit if a move towards the top of the 1st of 7 climbs and arrived in 3rd place. Next was a flat skate on sticky snow. No wax meant I was past by multiple people, but a quick transition seen me leave in 3 I think. The next 3 climbs all had boot pack section sat the end and the skiing was OK apart from the bad visibility and flat sections that seen me lose more time and places. At the bottom of the 5th climb there was a drink station, thanks to Patrick for getting me water! The climb was very long and flat (kinda boring?) and my mind started to wander a little knowing that while I was top 6 in this race, there were 45 other guys racing. It was about here that I started to get really wet from the rain, not that cold, but wet. I was glad to be at the top of the final climb, hoping the that finish was near, but the last ski was miserable! Deep, wet sticky snow and then a flat, wet, stick ski run were I was past by 2 races that had taken their time to wax their skis that night before. After getting my gear checked I had some food, got changed, waited for Jane to arrive and settled in for the main event. They were announcing over the speaker the top males, Giacomelli, Perrier, Troillet and Jornet were going at it!

Jane arrived just before Giudo Giacomelli crossed the line for the win. Fellow Italian Francesca Martinelli won the woman's race.

A great day for racing!! Perrier, Giacomelli going at it.
Photo:
Gerard Berthoud/skimo.org

Jane was happy with her race as it was here biggest day skiing this year. She finished 4hr8min and in 22nd place. I did the 2700m in 3hr42mins and was 37th.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work guys. A fantastic effort you can be proud of. Have really enjoyed the updates.

Tim

GTG said...

thanks Tim!