Friday, 7 March 2008

Nicolas' Take.......

So I know what a few of you are thinking "who is Nicolas?" Unfortunately he is not the long lost member of the NZ ski mountaineering race team, but the coach of the junior Swiss national team.
Hands down the best thing about racing is the places you go and the great people you meet. Nicolas is a great example. He wrote to me late last year after hearing about last winters Scarpa race series and wanted to offer his congratulations on a successful series. Since then I have e-mailed him often asking for advice on different things (mainly training, not that you could tell). It was great to finaly meet Nicolas, and his wife Severine, last week and really enjoyed his e-mail that he sent yesterday and wanted to share it as it gives a different perspective to the SMWC than that of Jane's and mine (it also means I have another day or 2 before "Grant's Take"). I have also included some photos of his.
Thanks Nicolas!

Hi Grant and Jane,

Yes was great to meet you guys, very nice people ! We love kiwis. Sorry I would have like to spent more time with you, but was very very busy with my team !!!! Same with my parents and Severine's : they came to watch the relay, but had only a few minutes to spent with them ! Severine had an incredible week, and that was just crazy and big for us that the girls won the relay. The feelings were so deep, I was crying ! And now the girls cut all my hairs, because I bet they wouldn’t beat the Italians !





Left is Marie Troillet and right French racer Leatitia Roux

And then the next day the silver medal, at just 1’50’’ of the Italians girls, what a race ! Severine was a bit disappointed to have to stop the last race, because of muscle problems (contracture au mollet), but is looking forward for the rest of the season.
Congratulation for your races, was great to have kiwis on the course. And will be nice to see you on the Pierra, another big-big-big experience !!! Do you know where you’ll be staying ? Sev should be racing with Gab Magnenat and myself with my colleague Gerard Bagnoud. We’re hoping for a top 25 ranking.
After this crazy week, I went to the Maya, team of 3, 300 teams (900 persons), crazy ! We finished at a strong 3rd placing, which was incredible !
Don’t hesitate if you want to use some of my words for your blog (great blog, just love it !).
All the best to you and Jane, looking forward to see you in the Pierra.


Nicolas

No comments: