Sunday, 6 January 2008

Plein Taque- Our First Race of The Season

Last night we finally lined up for our first race of the season here in France, the Plein Taque, a short individual race. The Plein Taque is held in Le Planay, which is home to the biggest race in France, the Pierra Menta. The race course was very short, just 3 laps of 140 vertical meters, so was a real sprint. Despite it being short, it was a very interesting and fun course. It started on a ski run and then quickly turned into the "off-piste" and the skin track climbed between trees before going steeply up beside another groomed ski run. Once at the top, the downhill started out on a narrow summer road, that included a short uphill skate and a high speed hair pin turn that spat you out onto a groomed run that lead back to the start/finish area. If this wasn't interesting enough it was 6:30 at night, so apart from the start /finish area, the whole thing was only lit up by competitors head lamps.
We had no idea what to expect as we drove up to this event, as we knew it was only a small race. As we drove through Beafort on the way to Le Planay, we spotted Florent Perrier, the 2007 winner of the Pierra Menta standing outside the local cheese factory, then in Areches, racers walked the streets in tight, one-piece lycra suits.
At race registration we spotted a good chunk of the French national team, including Grégory Gachet, Florent Perrier's partner from the Pierra Menta and Laetitia Roux, the female European champion! So much for just a "small race".
Lining up for the start was an experience in itself, as everyone looked fast, we weren't sure were to go in the line up. Not understanding French was also an issue at this point, as I was totally caught off guard as racer's around me took off. I was amazed at how fast the guys in the front were going! I quickly started passing people trying to make up for a bad start and my poor starting position. It was amazing skinning up as cheers of support and bells rang out from the dark on almost every corner of the lower part of the course. I passed a few more people near the top and had a good transition, coming out just behind 2 other racers and only darkness behind me. Arriving at the bottom for the 2nd uphill racers were greeted by bright lights and a lot of noise from the crowed that was waiting. I arrived just as the 2 racers in front of me were leaving and there was a string of head lamps in front of them- I had no idea where I was placed. Just after me was top female racer Laetitia Roux.
I botched my next few transitions, as the 2 guys in front of me got further away, but I managed to hold off Roux!
As I crossed the finish line, I had no idea were I had placed, but was surprised how few races had already finished, so was stoked to find out I had place 8th over all, with the only races in front of me being French team members. Some of whom are only 18-19yrs old.
Jane finished about 5 min behind me. Her unbeaten run had come to an end, but she was stoked to place 4th in the female class, also only being beaten by French team members.
After a short warm down we went inside for prize giving and dinner. Jane was stoked to get a bottle of red wine and some salami for getting 4th and I picked up another bottle of red as a spot prize! Then a huge dinner was served and we got talking to some fellow racers, who were very interested to hear that we were from New Zealand.
Other Race News
I have just found out that my application to race in the Patrouille des Glaciers has be accepted! The PDG is a 1 day suffer fest, that climbs almost 4000 meters and is 53km long! It is a teams race of 3, so I hope I can convince some other kiwis to make it over for this race in late April.
While in Areches yesterday we also put in our applications to race in the Pierra Menta. It is a teams of 2, 4 day race, that covers almost 10,000m of climbing. We have both found some French racers to do this with.
Next race is this Tuesday night, the La Nocturne de l'Aigle (Night of the Eagle), a short 2 person relay race. Its 80m laps and you and your team mate do as many as you can in 1hr. I think Jane and I have a good chance of winning the mixed division, we will see....

No comments: