Tuesday, 15 January 2008

Trophée du Chaberton, Sun 13th Jan

Did my first ever teams race on Sunday, the Trophée du Chaberton. I have been wanting to do a teams race for ages, so I was really excited to finally do one. I was racing with a Frenchman, Thomas, who I met through the DSA. It snowed about 30cm, so the race was changed from its original 2000 vertical meters, to about 1300m. We started out strong, arriving at the first check point in 5th, but were passed about half way up the 2nd climb. We then passed another team as they struggled skiing (we all did!) in the deep, heavy, new snow during the 2nd descent. Thomas lead the 3rd climb and was going strong, but I had skin issues and had to stop and swap to new skins. At this point I think we dropped back to 8th or 9th, but luckily I wasn't the only one with skin issues and we got back into 5th, leaving the transition just in front of another team. With Thomas being the stronger skier, I pulled aside to let him lead, but it never happened, instead, another team passed me! We held our position during the final climb and crossed the finish line (not before I took a hard, hard fall just before the finnish line) in 6th place.
It was a good race, with Thomas later telling me that he has never gone so hard in a race before, which explained why he had nothing for the ski down.
Jane entered the B course, which is a singles race of about 1000vert meters. Yep, you guessed it, she cleaned up! There was only 2 girls in the open class, but she did finish 7th over all (guys and girls) and was really happy with her result.
After the race there was a huge feast that included this ridiculously big fry pan of potato's and sausages cooked in a cheese sauce. Got to hand it to the French, they don't mess around when it comes to food (or ski mountaineering).
Tomorrow night Jane and I will race as a team in a small relay race, Nocturne de Chamrousse. I think we stand a good chance of winning the mixed teams category.
Here's a nice little video from the Trophée du Chaberton. They are Thomas' legs below and if you are quick you might spot me. I hope your French is better than mine...


Montgenevre Defi Chaberton 2008
Uploaded by snowmontge

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well done Grant!!!

the huge meal is called "Tartiflette" a speciality typpically of Alps.

see you tomorrow!